Rapport de la Réunion du Conseil international du FSM à Nairobi

, par FSM

Nairobi, Kenya (le 26 et le 27 janvier 2007), Stadia Guest House (Kasarani)

Ce rapport est une synthèse des principales décisions prises à Nairobi. Il est basé sur le notes prises par Jason Nardi (Oneworld), Moema Miranda (Ibase) et Rolando Lopez (Ibase).

La réunion du CI à Nairobi a été enregistrée par NIGD et il sera disponible à bientôt sur le site web www.forumsocialmundial.org.br

Sommaire

AGENDA PRINCIPALE ET DÉCISIONS :

1) Évaluation du FSM 2007 à Nairobi / discussion d’évaluation : 2

2) Mobilisation pour le FSM 2008 et propositions : 3

3) Groupe de Liaison / Facilitation : 4

4) Prochaine réunion du CI : 4

5) FSM 2009 : 4

Annexes

1) Brouillon de Termes de Référence
Groupe de Travail sur l’évaluation et sur les principes d’orientation : 5

2) Proposition pour la mobilisation de 2008 : 7

3) PROCESSUS DE FACILITATION DU FSM :

PROPOSITIONS DU GROUPE DE TRAVAIL MIS EN PLACE A PARME : 8

4) Proposition d’accueillir la prochaine réunion du Conseil International
à Florence pendant « Terra Futura » (Notre Terre Future) : 11

5) Minute notes from discussion by Rolando Lopez (Ibase) : 12 [1]

6) Rapport du Fond de solidarité : 26

7) Liste des Membres de CI et Observateur/trices : 27

[1]. Texte de Rolando Lopez (Ibase) qui a été intégré par Jason Nardi (Oneworld) dans le texte Agenda principal et décisions.

présents à la réunion du CI

 AGENDA PRINCIPALE ET DÉCISIONS :

26 janvier – matinée

Facilitateurs : Wahu Kaara (African Social Forum), Moema Miranda (Ibase) et Njoki Njehu (Solidarity Africa Network in Action)

1) Évaluation du FSM 2007 à Nairobi / discussion d’évaluation

La première partie de la réunion a été dédiée à la confrontation d’opinions et à l’évaluation du 7e Forum Social Mondial de Nairobi. Le débat a commencé avec les présentations de Oduor Ogwen (Comité d’Organisation Kényan), Taoufik B. Abdallah (Conseil du Forum Social Africain) et Njoki Njehu (Solidarity Africa Network in Action) et a mis en évidence les éléments d’évaluation suivants :

Il est difficile de faire une évaluation sérieuse en ce moment, mais certains élément devraient être mentionnés. Le Forum est le résultat d’une longue lutte et d’un long processus. Nous avons eu un total de 30 Forums en Afrique. Nous avons aussi eu le Forum de Bamako duquel apprendre. Le plus difficile a été la mobilisation. Parce que le mouvement social en Afrique est fragmenté et dominé par un petit nombre, c’est n’est pas totalement démocratique. Nous sommes satisfaits qu’il y a eu un bon nombre de syndicalistes africains. En termes de ressources, sur les 1’160’000 (US$), seulement 69% ont été distribués. Il n’y a jamais eu autant de représentants. Il est trop tôt pour évaluer les répercussions politiques. Ce Forum a été le Forum le plus important d’Afrique. C’est un événement historique. A tous nos amis, en premiers la Hollande, la première à nous soutenir. Merci aux interprètes et aux volontaires.

De nombreuses personnes ont aidé à mobiliser et cela a beaucoup aidé. Cependant, la question des pauvres n’a pas bien été gérée. Au Kenya, les pauvres n’habitent pas seulement dans des bidonvilles. Ils habitent aussi dans les régions rurales. Alors s’il vous plaît, ne dites pas que les pauvres n’ont pas eu leur chance ! C’est une demande de questionner la romantisation des pauvres. Explication de la distribution et du prix élevé de l’eau : 50’000 litres furent gratuits, le reste fût hors contrôle. Le rôle des médias Kényans dans le FSM : l’accent a été mis un peu tard. L’hébergement a été un échec complet. Cela n’a pas atteint les standards. De nombreuses sessions n’ont pas fonctionné. Nous assumons la pleine responsabilité. Les volontaires ont aussi été faibles. Il est trop tôt pour évaluer le Forum du Kenya. Finalement, malgré les problèmes, nous sentons que cela a été un succès.

Tout en complimentant le Comité d’Organisation pour avoir mené avec succès le Forum, un nombre de problèmes qui ont eu lieu ont été discuté :

- Tendances à la commercialisation, à la privatisation et présence militaire/policière excessive dans l’espace du FSM ;

- Difficultés avec les terrains, l’économie solidaire du FSM et la cohérence avec la Chartes des principes du FSM ;

- Exclusion de participants due aux coûts élevés de participation, de la nourriture et de l’eau ;

- Soucis concernant la présence d’organisations travaillant contre le droit des femmes, des marginalisés et les les droits et la diversité sexuelles, en contradiction avec la Chartes des principes du FSM ;

- L’assurance de pouvoir bénéficier d’une bonne connexion média/internet n’a pas reçu assez d’attention ;

- Les traductions/interprétation et l’amplification n’ont pas été assurés de manière adéquate.

Un consensus a été trouvé dans le besoin d’une série de « lignes directrices », dans le but de mieux travailler lors de l’organisation de futurs FSM et de mieux évaluer après coup.

Une proposition séparée pour continuer la discussion à propos de l’évaluation du FSM 2007 a été proposée par Flavio Lotti, discussion devant être organisée avant la prochaine réunion du CI.

DECISIONS :

- Un nouveau groupe de travail sera créé afin de facilité l’évaluation du FSM et de développer des principes d’orientation pour les prochains forums. L’évaluation du groupe de travail a dessiné un brouillon des Termes de référence dans le but d’élaborer un cadre de travail et une série de lignes directrices [Nicola Bullard et Jason Nardi ont établi un premier brouillon, basé sur les premières réunions durant le CI – voir Appendice 1]. La version finale sera envoyée la semaine prochaine.

- Le groupe de travail a d’abord été créé durant la réunion du CI, mais il sera ouvert à d’autres membres. Un message spécifique sur ce sujet sera envoyé par le Secrétariat la semaine prochaine.

- Un séminaire d’évaluation doit être organisé avant la prochaine réunion du CI, par le même groupe de travail.

26 janvier – après-midi

Facilitateurs : Vinod Raina (Jubilee South), Celita Eccher (ICAE) et Oduor Ogwen (Comité d’Organisation Kényan)

2) Mobilisation pour le FSM 2008 et propositions

Le CI a confirmé sa décision de lancer une Journée d’action global au courant de la fin janvier 2008. Dépendant des pays et des régions, la forme et la durée de cette action peut varier autour d’une date de référence (probablement le 26 janvier) coïncidant avec l’ouverture du Forum Économique Mondial de Davos. La série d’actions à mener à l’échelle internationale a pour objectif la lutte contre le néolibéralisme et s’inspire de la Charte de Principes du FSM.

Le groupe de travail pour le FSM 2008 a présenté une proposition, qui a été amendée et approuvée (voir Annexe 2).

La commission de communication s’est aussi réunie durant la réunion du CI et a proposé de travailler sur une stratégie revue pour la communication durant la mobilisation de 2008, de lever des fonds pour cette mobilisation et de la mettre en œuvre directement. Elle a demandé un mandat spécifique du CI afin de continuer dans cette direction.

DECISIONS :

La proposition de groupe de travail pour la mobilisation de 2008 est acceptée. En particulier :

- En 2008, le processus du FSM sera caractérisé par une série d’activités simultanées conduites régionalement et/ou localement sur toute la planète ainsi qu’un jour d’impact et de visibilité globale renforcé par une stratégie commune de communication ainsi que des instruments communs ;

- Les dates concernant les activités du FSM 2008 seront au alentour des dates de Davos et une journée d’action/visibilité globale sera le 26-27 janvier.

- La responsabilité du groupe de travail est de produire un plan avant la prochaine réunion du CI, plan à être discuté et approuvé par le CI.
Le mandat spécial pour la Commission de Communication a été de travailler et de produire un nouveau plan de stratégie de communication pour le processus de mobilisation 2008, pour sa levée de fonds et sa mise en œuvre :

27 janvier – matinée

Facilitateurs : Prabir Purkayastha (WSF India) et Virginia Vargas (Articulación Feminista Marcosur).

3) Groupe de Liaison / Facilitation

Une proposition du groupe de travail de travail « facilitation » (voir proposition complète à l’Annexe 3) mis en place à Parme est de créer un « groupe international de facilitation ». Un tel groupe, constitué de 7 personnes indiquées et 7 suppléantes du CI, qui seraient capables d’appuyer le processus du FSM, en commençant par le besoin du CI de structurer son travail autour de :

- Un Ensemble d’Objectifs Annuel ;

- Ses commissions avec des responsabilités claires ;

- Des groupes de travail orientés sur des tâches et liés aux commissions.
La proposition complète a été discutée et plusieurs préoccupations exprimées, spécialement à propos de la création d’une nouvelle structure de pouvoir au sein du CI et de la relation avec les Commissions et Groupes de Travail existants.

DECISIONS :

- Maintien du groupe mis en place à Parme, qui devrait approfondir le débat, ajouter les propositions présentées, tout comme présenter une nouvelle proposition pour la prochaine réunion du CI.

- En même temps, l’extension du mandat fait au Secrétariat Brésilien pour fonctionner en tant que facilitateur du travail du CI a été accepté à l’unanimité.

27 janvier – après-midi

Facilitateurs : Cândido (Ibase) et Brid Brennan (TNI)

4) Prochaine réunion du CI

Deux propositions pour accueillir la prochaine réunion du CI ont été présentées. L’exposition internationale Terra Futura (Notre planète future) sur les bonnes pratiques en matière de durabilité – un héritage du premier Forum Social Européen – a offert d’accueillir le CI du 16 au 20 mai 2007 à Florence, Italie, avec tous les coûts locaux d’hébergement, de nourriture, de transport local et de logistique payés. Cela a été présenté comme une opportunité pour créer des synergies entre le FSM et une plus ample variétés d’organisations travaillant sur de nombreuses questions similaires.

La deuxième proposition a été d’avoir la prochaine réunion durant le sommet du G8, qui aura lieu à Rostock (Allemagne) dans le but de suivre les actions de protestation qui le suivront. Dates probables : 9 et 10 juin 2007. La couverture des frais et de la logistique doit être vérifiée avec des éventuelles organisations d’accueil, inclusivement des églises qui mobilisent autour des questions de la dette internationale.

DECISIONS :

- La prochaine réunion du CI aura lieu à Berlin, Allemagne, en juin 2007 (1-3).

- Deux semaines supplémentaires ont été accordées pour vérifier les détails de faisabilité et et la date finale et avec les organisations locales.

5) FSM 2009

Une première ronde de propositions concernant la localisation du 8e Forum Social Mondial a eu lieu lors de la dernière session du CI : retour au Brésil (par exemple à Salvador de Bahia ou Curitiba), ou dans une ville mexicaine proche de la frontière nord américaine afin de rassembler un maximum de mexicains, nord américains et centre-américains. D’autres suggestions ont indiquée la Thaïlande ou la Corée du Sud, qui encreraient le processus dans l’est de l’Asie. Nombreux sont ceux qui ont appelé le FSM a être de nouveau avoir lieu sur le continent africain, comme la plupart des membres du CI sont d’accord sur le besoin d’un renforcement des luttes en Afrique. Le Comité d’Organisation Africain va considérer la possibilité et faire un rapport lors de la prochaine réunion du CI.

DECISION :

- De nouvelles propositions seront présentées et débattues lors de la prochaine réunion du CI.

1) Brouillon de Termes de Référence

Groupe de Travail sur l’évaluation et sur les principes d’orientation

DÉCISION DU CONSEIL INTERNATIONAL

La réunion du Conseil International qui s´est déroulée à Nairobi le 26 et le 27 Janvier 2007 a convenu d’établir un groupe de travail pour faciliter l’évaluation du processus du FSM et développer les principes d’orientation pour les prochains forums.

Les tâches du groupe de travail sont de :

- Faciliter l’évaluation du processus du FSM ;

- Développer les principes d’orientation pour les prochains forums.

Durée :

Ce groupe de travail opérera dès maintenant jusqu’à la prochaine réunion du CI à Berlin, en juin, quand l’avenir du groupe de travail sera réévalué.

Composition :

Le groupe de travail est ouvert à tous les membres et observateurs du Conseil International. Les termes de référence finaux seront envoyés à la liste du CI avec une invitation pour joindre le groupe de travail, après quoi le secrétariat du FSM établira une liste pour le groupe de travail.

CONTEXTE

Les sept dernières années du processus du Forum Social Mondial ont été une riche expérience de leçons appris et de leçons « désappris ».

L’objectif d’évaluer le processus du Forum Social Mondial est de renforcer notre travail, d’améliorer et d’approfondir notre pratique et d’amplifier notre impact politique et social.

L’évaluation n’est pas simplement un exercice technique : c’est un acte politique. Donc, notre bilan du processus devrait être encadré selon les valeurs présentées dans la Charte de Principes du FSM : le processus du FSM est ouvert, inclusif, pluriel, divers, non-violent, non-raciste, non-hiérarchique, non-patriarcal, anti néo-libéral, écologique, non-confessionnel, non-gouvernemental, non-partidaire, et fonctionne sur les bases de la solidarité, de la démocratie et de la transparence.

TÂCHES DU GROUPE DE TRAVAIL

1. Faciliter l’évaluation du processus du FSM :

En engageant une enquête en ligne utilisant toute la base de données disponible des participants du FSM de 2001 à 2007, y compris des forums régionaux.

Cette enquête sera tout d’abord quantitative avec quelques questions optionnelles qualitatives.

Le but de l’enquête est de :

- Mesurer le rapport (s’il y en a) entre le processus du FSM et le mouvement de construction et campagne dans la société au plus large ;

- Évaluer le rôle et l’utilité du FSM comme partie prenante du processus plus vaste de résistance, du mouvement de création et de construction d’alternatives ; et

- Rassembler des opinions sur l’avenir du FSM par rapport aux questions de périodicité, format, durée, etc.

Un brouillon du questionnaire sera conçue par un petit groupe de travail comportant des sociologues avec de l’expérience sur le recueil de données et les enquêtes, et le formulaire final sera validé par le groupe de travail.

L’enquête sera menée en espagnol, anglais et français.

 ANNEXES

Le groupe de travail devra aussi considérer que des fonds doivent être levés pour accomplir l’enquête et analyser les données.

En favorisant la réalisation d’un séminaire (une journée) à l’antécédence immédiate de la prochaine réunion du conseil international à Berlin dans les premiers jours de juin.

Les contributions pour ce séminaire comprendront :

- Des résultats sur l’enquête mentionnée ci-dessus

- Le rapport du Conseil Africain du Forum Social sur le FSM à Nairobi

- Le rapport du Comité d’Organisation Kényan sur le FSM à Nairobi

- Tout autre rapport disponible sur les Forums Mondiaux Sociaux précédents et des forums régionaux

- Le rapport demandé par la commission de ressources (le rapport Novib)

- D’autres rapports et d’enquêtes qualitatifs et quantitatifs pertinents pour l’ensemble de la discussion

Le séminaire sera organisé par des membres du groupe de travail.

Le groupe de travail visera à obtenir tous les rapports disponibles deux semaines avant la réunion. Au moins, les résultats de l’enquête en ligne seront disponibles en anglais, espagnol et français.

2. Développer les principes d’orientation pour les prochains forums.

Le groupe de travail préparera un document qui a pour but de traduire les principes du FSM, tels qu’ils sont articulés dans la Charte de Principes, dans la pratique.

Par exemple, la Charte de Principes énonce que le FSM est « en opposition à la voie de mondialisation menée par les grandes entreprises multinationales et par les gouvernements et institutions internationales au service des intérêts de ces sociétés, en complicité avec les gouvernements nationaux. » En conséquence, dans la pratique, le processus du FSM ne devrait pas être utilisé pour servir aux intérêts des sociétés transnationales, en refusant par exemple le sponsoring de CTNs, en utilisant des logiciels libres, des produits et des fournisseurs locaux, etc.

Un autre exemple : « Le Forum Social Mondial sera toujours un forum ouvert au pluralisme et à la diversité d’activités et de types d’engagement des organisations et des mouvements qui décident d’y participer, ainsi qu’à la diversité de genres, d’ethnies, de cultures, de générations et de capacités physiques, en garantissant cette Charte de Principes. » En pratique, donc, le processus du FSM devrait faciliter cette diversité et pluralisme en assurant au maximum l’accès pour les groupes marginalisés par l’accès physique, financier et linguistique, l’accès à l’information, à l’espace, etc.

Le document puisera les expériences des derniers forums, en utilisant des exemples de comment les principes du FSM peuvent être mis en place par des moyens pratiques, tels que l’architecture, la mobilisation et l’éducation de bénévoles, les services de traduction et interprétation, des outils de communication innovateurs et accessibles, des procédés de prise de décision ouverts et démocratiques, etc.

En plus, le groupe de travail essaiera de développer quelques outils d’évaluation, tels que des audits sociaux, écologiques et de genre, qui pourraient nous aider à renforcer notre travail.

Ce document a été envisagé comme un « travail en cours » qui pourrait continuellement recevoir des contributions par moyen des apports des vastes expériences et de la créativité de ceux impliqués dans le processus du FSM. Néanmoins, son principal but est de fournir un « kit d’outils » pour les comités de coordination du processus du FSM dans l’avenir et un ensemble « d’indicateurs » pour évaluer dans quelle mesure « on fait ce que l’on dit ».
Le projet de document sera également analysé par le Conseil International et il sera disponible sur le site web du FSM pour des commentaires et suggestions.

2) Proposition pour la mobilisation de 2008

Réunion du CI et du groupe de travail

Réunion du CI à Nairobi le 26 et le 27 janvier 2007

1) Le processus du FSM sera caractérisé en 2008 par une Journée Globale de Mobilisation qui consistera à un ensemble décentralisé d’activités simultanées menées régionalement et/ou localement partout dans le monde. Le format spécifique (y compris le nombre de jours) et le slogan de ces activités seront décidés par ceux qui les organisent, via une journée commune d’impact et de visibilité globaux renforcée par une stratégie et des outils de communication communs. Ces activités devraient aider à étendre et à approfondir le processus du FSM.

2) Le slogan « parapluie » sera Un Autre Monde est Possible/En
Construction – à être décidé lors de la prochaine réunion du CI. Les thèmes spécifiques seront choisis par tous les forums, réseaux et organisations et seront en continuité avec les discussions du FSM de Nairobi, surtout les résultats du quatrième jour (plans d’action et campagnes) et d’autres questions importantes au niveau global, régional, national et local. Toutefois, des thèmes spécifiques et des activités sélectionnées devraient permettre la participation de tout secteur et section. Des ateliers et des activités devront être ouverts, inclusifs et pluriels, dans l’esprit du processus du Forum Social Mondial, et doivent se dérouler selon la Charte de Principes du Forum Social Mondial.

3) On propose que la décision du CI de Parma selon laquelle les dates des activités pour le FSM 2008 seront autour de celles de Davos reste inchangée et que la journée globale d’action/visibilité soit le 26/27 janvier.

4) Le groupe de travail mis en place à Parma continue ouvert à tous membres du CI intéressé à y participer. Son engagement sera de diffuser les informations sur la Journée Globale de Mobilisation, d´impliquer dans le processus le plus grand nombre d’acteurs, de mouvements, de réseaux et d´organisations qui travaillent pour un autre monde, et à partager des idées. C’est la responsabilité du groupe de travail du CI de produire un plan brouillon avant la prochaine réunion du CI à être débattu et approuvé par le CI.

3) PROCESSUS DE FACILITATION DU FSM :
PROPOSITIONS DU GROUPE DE TRAVAIL MIS EN PLACE A PARME

Introduction :

A Parme a été mis en place un groupe de travail dans le but de faire une proposition au CI, pour la création d’un « Groupe International de Facilitation ».

La création d’un tel Groupe n’est pas un objectif pour le CI, mais un moyen. Ce Groupe serait à même de soutenir le processus du FSM, ceci seulement si le CI est capable d’établir un plan de travail concret pour l’année prochaine.
Pour cette raison, la description de ce qui s’appelle dans ce document le « Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation » est inclus dans une plus large perspective, en commençant par le besoin du CI de structurer son travail autour :

- D’un Ensemble d’Objectifs annuel ;

- De ses commissions avec des responsabilités claires ;

- De Groupe de Travail orientés sur des tâches et liés aux Commissions.
Le Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation sera véritablement fonctionnel sir le CI définit une série d’objectifs clairs.

Le Groupe de Travail mis en place à Parme a travaillé plus spécifiquement sur :

- Le mandat du le Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation ;

- La composition de ce groupe ;

- Les tâches concrètes qui doivent être remplies par ce groupe.

Les éléments suivants sont le résultat du travail assumé par le groupe de Travail durant sa réunion à Nairobi (les 19 décembre et 16 janvier).
Il a aussi reçu des contributions de différentes personnes, qui permet au travail accompli à Nairobi de s’intégrer dans une réflexion plus générale sur les objectifs et les structures du FSM.

Ce texte est maintenant distribué aux seuls membres du CI dans le but de préparer sa réunion du 26 et 27 janvier.

PROPOSTION POUR ÊTRE DISCUTÉE À NAIROBI

Préambule

Compte tenu du fait que, après 7 ans d’expérience, le processus du FSM a été élargi à une grande partie de la planète, et qu’il contribue à l’émergence d’une nouvelle culture politique. Cette nouvelle culture considère un autre monde comme possible, basé sur des perspectives opposées au néolibéralisme et basé sur la diversité, sur l’horizontalisme et l’implication d’une grande variété d’acteurs sociaux.

Prenant en compte que l’un des aspect clé de cette nouvelle culture politique est la possibilité d’être appropriée et librement multipliée dans toutes les partie de la planète, par tous ceux qui désirent la partager. En même temps, cette engagement envers le processus n’implique pas de lien à une structure ou une organisation, qui fait déjà partie du processus du FSM.

Prenant en compte qu’il est nécessaire de constituer encore plus de connaissances et d’expériences dans le but de continuer la construction d’un nouveau monde et d’éviter les menaces faites à notre planète.

Le Conseil International (CI) accepte les recommandations suivantes, qui ont pour but d’améliorer son fonctionnement, en intégrant l’énergie et la créativité de milliers d’organisations déjà engagées dans le processus du FSM :

1. Dorénavant, le CI fonctionnera sur la base d’un ensemble annuel d’objectifs ainsi que sur la base de Groupes de Travail (GTs), liées aux Commissions existantes. Ces GTs seront spécifiques, ouverts et limités dans le temps (le groupe de travail disparaîtra lorsque ses objectifs auront été réalisés). Ils seront conçus dans le but de mettre en œuvre tous les objectifs de la fixation annuelle des objectifs.

2. L’ensemble annuel d’objectifs doit être approuvée par le CI durant la réunion de janvier. Le CI pourrait tenir au moins une autre réunion chaque année.

3. L’ensemble annuel d’objectifs sera défini selon un processus continu de consensus. Il sera basé sur l’évaluation des forces et faiblesses du processus FSM, y il mentionnera les résultats concrets à être accomplis dans une certaines période de temps. Ces objectifs seront spécifiques (par exemple : « établir un réseau de contact avec la Chine », au lieu de « promouvoir l’expansion du FSM »).

4. Ces objectifs se réfèrent à l’avancement du processus, ainsi que du travail à être réalisé par le CI. Ils ne se referont pas aux luttes des organisations participantes du processus FSM.

5. Pour chaque objectif , un GT sera mis en place. Tous les membres du CI peuvent participer de n’importe quel GT.

6. Les Commissions actuelles du CI (Contenu, Méthodologie, Communication, Ressources, Expansion et Stratégie) continueront et ils seront renforcées. Elles fonctionneront plutôt comme des « forums », dans lesquelles les GT échangeront des idées et des expériences. Chaque GT sera lié à une ou plusieurs Commissions, ce qui ne veut pas dire qu’il aura une relation hiérarchique, mais un espace de dialogue permanent. Les Commissions devraient être le lieu où les plan de travaux spécifiques du GT seront discutés et adoptés, dans le cadre de l’Ensemble des objectifs désigné par le CI.

- Pour donner une nouvelle démarrage pour les commissions, chaque membre du CI sera invité à confirmer sa participation dans les différentes Commissions y le CI réévaluera critiquement les travaux des commissions et leurs difficultées face à le travail comme des commissions.

7. Chaque GT maintiendra une série d’outils qui permettent le travail à distance, via internet, pour accomplir ses objectifs et pour présenter ses travaux aux commissions et au CI.

- Pour accomplir leurs tâches, les GTs auront des réunions « physique » et ils auront support pour des questions techniques dans une limite budgétaire qui sera approuvée par le CI. Pour cela, le CI constituera un budget annuel de façon participative. Ce budget annuel consistera du budgets pour le CI, ansi que pour ses commissions et pour ses groupes de travail. Le budget pour les événements sera à part et il sera gestionné par les organisateurs de l’événement.

- Le budget pour le processus FSM et son exécution par le CI/Commissions/GTs seront disponibles à la consultation sur le site web du FSM.

- Il se fait nécessaire établir une entité légale pour mis à pied le budget pour le processus FSM, comme une organisation de support en dépendant des décisions du CI, et sa siège doit se situer dans un pays qui permet envoyer et recevoir facilement de l’argent de/vers partout au monde.

8. Pour faciliter les contactes et la bonne communication entre les nombreux GTs, entre les diverses Commissions et entre tous les membres du CI, un Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation sera mis en place avec un rôle spécial, mais sans un status spécifique dans le CI. Son rôle sera :

- Maintenir la communication avec tous les GTs et informer tous les membre du CI sur les progrès dans l’implémentation de l’Ensemble d’objectifs.

- Assurer la préparations des réunions du CI.

- Présenter à chaque réunion du CI un rapport détaillé sur l’accomplissement de l’Ensemble d’objectifs.

- Assurer la communication entre les diverses Commissions et entre les Commissions et le CI.

- Surveiller le fonctionnement du bureau du FSM et aussi faire des effort pour sa levée de fonds.

- Faciliter l’élaboration de l’Ensemble d’objectifs et le budget de l’année prochaine.

- Ce la veut dire, que le Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation, à service du CI et sans un mandat politique, assurera l’implémentation des décisions, des plans et le budget désignés par le CI, les Commissions et le GTs.

9. Le fonctionnement du Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation.

- Le Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation aura ses coûts couvert par un budget spécifique.

- Le Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation recevra un support administratif par le bureau du FSM à São Paulo.

- Le bureau du FSM devra avoir sa capacité de travail renforcée pour faciliter le processus FSM.

- Le Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation se rencontrera régulièrement pour évaluer l’implémentation de l’Ensemble d’objectifs.

10. Composition du Groupe de Liaison/Facilitaiton.

- Tenir en compte les tâches à faire, le CI devra indiquer personnes (sans élections), basé sur la diversité, les compétences, la disponibilité de temps et l’expérience acquise dans le développement du processus. Les membres indiqués y seront au nom du CI et non comme représentant(e)s de leurs organisations/mouvements. Les membres du Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation devront alterner à chaque 2 ans, avec la possibilité d’être indiqués pour une deuxième période d’autres 2 ans. Personne peut être membre du Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation plus de 4 ans.

- Le Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation doit être composé par sept personnes, avec 7 suppléant(e)s. Cela nous semple plus approprié par trois raisons (1- un nombre raisonable pour avoir des réunions dans le cas que 1,2 ou 3 personnes ne soit pas présentes, 2- un nombre pas si grand pour éviter de problèmes à cause des coûts pour les réunions, 3- ce nombre peut rendre possible une bonne diversité dans le groupe). Cette composition doit être coordonnée avec les commissions et la diversité géographique et de genre).

- Une des places pourraient être occupée par un(e) représentant(e) du Collectif Brésilien qui a démarré le processus FSM.

- Alors, ces organisations brésiliennes ne continueront plus comme le Groupe de Facilitation du processus FSM. Elles pourraient, de façon collective, être représentées dans le Groupe de Liaison/Facilitation, avec la responsabilité spécifique de administrer le bureau du FSM à São Paulo.

- Identifier les membres du groupe de liaison, le GT qui est train de faire tel proposition se dispose à travailler de façon suivante :

- Dans la prochaine réunion du CI, tous les intéressé(e)s faire partie du Groupe de Facilitation (seulement pour les membres des organisations qui composent le CI) indiqueront leurs noms,

- Dans les deux mois suivants le group de travail discutera avec tous/toutes candidat(e)s, par moyens des plusieurs consultations, pour arriver à une composition finale selon les critères mentionnés ci-dessus.

11. Expansion du C.I

- Cette nouvelle structure permettra améliorer la façon d’élargir le CI, en utilisant les possibilités du GT.

4) Proposition d’accueillir la prochaine réunion du Conseil International à Florence pendant « Terra Futura » (Notre Terre Future)

Chers Amis,

Après quelques mois de travail et de prélèvement de fonds pour des solutions possibles, nous confirmons la possibilité d’accueillir la prochaine réunion du Conseil International du FSM pendant l’évènement international « Terra Futura », à Florence, en Italie. Terra Futura (« Notre Future Terre ») est un legs du Forum Social Européen qui a eu lieu à Florence en 2002 et c’est un évènement international qui vise à présenter, échanger et diffuser « de bonnes pratiques » sociales, économiques et environnementales pour le développement durable, qui existent et sont déjà pratiquées.

Terra Futura est l’initiative de la Fondation Culturelle de la Banque Ethique et sa quatrième édition aura lieu à la Fortezza da Basso à Florence, du 18 au 20 mai 2007. La rencontre présente une énorme exhibition et un programme culturel de niveau international : en 2006, plus de 72.000 visiteurs y sont venus, il y avait 400 espaces présentant plus de 3000 expériences, de 180 activités culturelles et de 700 interlocuteurs.

Grâce à l’appui de “Provincia di Firenze”, nous pouvons accueillir les membres du Conseil International pendant trois, quatre jours lors du prochain Terra Futura, disposer d’un transfert pour le transport local et procurer des salles de réunion et de l’équipement nécessaire. Tous les participants doivent arriver à Florence par leurs propres moyens.

Nous proposons de commencer le travail du Conseil le 16 mai 2007 et de le terminer le 18. De cette façon, les membres du Conseil pourraient également participer au Terra Futura, aussi bien que prendre part comme interlocuteurs dans les conférences et le programme culturel.
Je vous remercie de votre attention et me mets à votre disposition pour toute autre information.

Amitiés,

Ugo Biggeri

Président

Contacts :

biggeri.fondazione bancaetica.org

siliani.fondazione bancaetica.org

jason.nardi gmail.com

5) Minute notes from discussion by Rolando Lopez (Ibase)

Introduction – Moema

[Translation Problems – Delay of Three Hours]

Rabia : Suggestion to split in groups

Introduction Organising Commission Africa

First words – African Woman (?)

Taoufik : It’s difficult to make a serious evaluation at this moment, but some elements should be mentioned. Forum is result of long struggle and process. We have had a total of over 30 Forums in Africa. We also had the Bamako forum to learn from. The main difficult was the mobilisation. Because the social movement in Africa is fragmented and dominated by a few, it is not totally democratic. We are glad that there were a good number of African trade unionists. In terms of resources, of the 1,160,000 (US $) we mobilised, only 69% were disbursed. No antecedent to the number of representatives. Too early to evaluate political repercussions. This forum was the most important one for Africa. Its an historical event. All our friends, first of all Holland, the first to support. Thank you to interpreters and volunteers.

Odour Ongwen : Many people helped to mobilize and that has been very helpful. However, the issue of the poor was not managed well. In Kenya the poor are not in the slums only. They are also in the rural area. So please don’t say that the poor did not have a chance. It’s a plea to challenge the romantisation of the poor. Explanation of distribution and high price of water : 50.000 litres were free. The rest was not under control. The role of Kenya media in WSF : it was focused a bit late. Accommodation was a complete failure. It was not up to standards. Many sessions did not work. We assume full responsibility. Volunteers were also weak. It is premature to evaluate the Forum in Kenya. Finally, in spite of the problems, we feel it was a success.

African Woman –Intervention in French : It was an important event. Nairobi started with Bamako. In Africa Civil Societies are weak. This event was a learning process. People of the poorest countries are even weaker. No capacity to criticise the global structures. The right to protest was a good lesson.

Samir Amin : One point. Political impact. Conventional speech on abortion. Opinions matter – religious groups. Rome and Washington are infiltrating ?

Rabia : Mobilisation good but now what ? Open space ? What about the Churches ? What about diversity ?

Fahim : Congratulations on Forum. One point. Few members of IC attended Pakistan. We had deficit. We hosted 250,000 people. With less funds. We did not have uniformed police. We did not have looting. No robberies. My point is that it is not only money. Its important to mobilise with Social Movements. We did not have coca cola.

John Steward – Zimbwe : We have to establish criteria for evaluation. Self assessment and report to IC. Each commission to evaluate process also. From NGOs to social movement. From talking to actions ? You can’t evaluate today, we don’t have the criteria. A structure needs to be established.
Vinod : The stadium was too big. Seminar was not interactive – it was like a lecture. High price for registration and food.

Rafaella Bolini : We knew that there were going to be problems. It was a common challenge. Civil society fragmented, poor, weak, etc. so lets not be surprised for the wrongs, lets be surprised for the good things that happened. We have to learn from all these things. Finances, communications, etc. All these things are common responsibilities.

Man from West Africa : We met the challenge. It has been a success. High quality of discussions. Good preparation of discussions. Weaknesses. Terrain. Last point is the need for Charters for all functions.

Woman from Babel : Translation was not a Babels issue. Difficulties of communication. Important to develop local translation. Regional capacity. Training local people especially Swahili. Training in sign language. The whole thing created an African Dynamic. Per diem was weak. Infrastructure was weak. Conditions were weak. We have to avoid people trying to get to the money for translation. Lets not confuse radio with tools and translations.

Gina : Forum was absolutely necessary. Many mistakes but good. IPS talking about “terror” was very dangerous. Churches issues should also be looked at. Morality, gays, etc. other issue that needs to be addressed.

Vinod : Important was to open Africa and come to Africa. Regarding the Technical issues they should be looked at. Political problems are important. These should be addressed.

Odded : Its good to compare what you expect with what happened. Proposal – to form a group that will present to us a methodology of evaluation.

Luis Guillermo : Congratulate Africa y Kenya. We in FDH leave with a caucus consolidated. We need to overcome the problems of translation of finances. We can not continue without solidarity economy. We can not continue to depend on outside funding. We have to remember that Darfur and Somalia are close by.

Atila-Social Watch : Warm thank you to Africa and Kenya. Forum was a learning process, a building process, and we have moved to a different level. I have participated in OCs we know that there are problems. But participation of women was great.

European Man : Need to emphasise good things. We can’t change the world in 7 years. We live in the midst of Capitalism. Christians for social justice and option for the poor. We have to be careful not to condemn. Lets remember that it is a common ground, not a party.

Giampiero Rasimelli : Italians had a meeting last night with over 100 people. Technical problems have to be overcome, but there are issues such as thematic NGOs, the attitude of Europe towards Africa and not only the US ; I agree with Samir Amin, but missionaries of Italy also helped to visit slums.
Irene Leon – Americas Forum : We must work on the Ethics and methodology, not on evaluacion of the content. No more learning process : action is necessary. Let’s do a chart to define the behaviour of the forum. This needs to be linked to Charter of Principle. No discrimination in class, gender ? We don’t need big infrastructures, just somewhere to meet to change the world. Methodology same thing, it should not be an experiment of someone… They should not experiment with us.

Diana (Canada) : African Struggles are Global Struggles. We are talking about the lack of discussion about the role of the WSF. Open Space is one. If we don’t talk about this the WSF is in jeopardy. Women were not addressed as an issue. Progressive churches are good if they are allies. The point is about anti-abortion propaganda : this cannot be tolerated.

African Woman (People’s Parliament Forum of Kenya) : We protested for the entrance fee which was too expensive : 7 US$, when many of us live under a dollar a day. We found this untenable. The registration process was too complicated and bureaucratic. Also the venue should have been better chosen : Kasarani was too far. We were not included in the organisation. The security issue has been wrongly addressed : being secluded during the day and then having participants go back to city centre in the
evening when security is more problematic. The cost of organising events was far too expensive and excluded many people. Large NGOs had a lot of events such as Action Aid and Human Dignity. We in the Parliamentary Forum did not have any. Cost of food and water were untenable. We wanted to have stands for food but could not. Not made a good possibility to compete. Only the rich firms could compete. The WSF OC presented the opportunity to make money for commercial entities out of the delegates, but did not open this to real competition. People came to our slums for free – we wanted the opposite to be possible as well. As for the translations, no radios were distributed to be able to listen and the few translators were paid too much, 100$ a day – instead of having many volunteer translators.

Christophe : Need a good evaluation. Good quality of discussion. Good exchange. Critique : need more volunteers instead of expensive resources (eg for translations). The 4th day (convergence and proposals of action) was a good idea but the way it was carried out could have been much better.
Nicholas : The participation of churches as “moral community” in Africa has been extraordinary. Caritas and the ecumenical forum had more than 4,000 local churches mobilised. We brought Desmond Tutu, Orthodox Church, isolated churches, Muslims. This was the most successful for ecumenical committee. We want to thank the OC for collaboration. We published two books. One by Chico and the other by Oyugi’s.

Carola : Solidarity economy. Courageous men and women. It was an extraordinary forum for Solidarity Economy. Pickpockets happen also in Spain. Two hours for continental integration processes. Deficit, sponsorship and fees are global issues, as well as a code of conduct to have fair trade inside the WSF. Communication has not been working well either.
African Man : Open a link to make comments on evaluation. We the trade unions did not have representatives in the board. More unity of action is needed. Good mobilisation. Police had a good role, considering the culture.
African Woman : OC - From migration movement. Migrants were present and contributed very much. A new platform needs to be elaborated. Seminars with two hour to prepare do not work. Children going hungry is Africa today.

Eric Toussant : How to preserve an open space ? Individual or organisation representation. How to articulate the different actors of the Forum : Trade unions, etc. We must rethink the composition of next IC. The WSF should come back to Africa in the next years. The 4th day was supposed to be for action and convergence, but the organisation wasn’t coherent with the mission : 21 thematic assemblies are too many. Certain weren’t useful : eg, for the Debt campaign, in the morning we were more than 300 people, while in the afternoon it was max 40 people. It would have been better to have 5 different general activities with the same agenda and try to converge these afterwards. We counted 1300 people participating at the 21 thematic meetings, while only in the social movements assembly we were more than 2000.

Delegate from migrant international organisation : Two hours to make proposals for action and change is too little. We’ve seen the situation in the slums, but we had to go there because they weren’t able to participate inside the Forum. Migrant workers are participants to the development of a nation.
Kenyan – Working in Tunisia : Young people have participated a lot. They should be taken into account much more. For first time we had a great number of young people participating. The OC went out of its way to make sure they could participate, but not enough attention to the different views of the youth : they were part of the caravans preparing the WSF process – it has been the largest participation of young people to a process like this in Africa. We also had a problem addressing some of the members of the secretariat/OC so we are asking ourselves : is this “possible world” repeating dynamics of the world we are contesting ?

Candido : Congratulate people from OC in Africa. Organisations from the grassroots are not having a chance to participate since the first Forum : the problem with exclusion has been with us since the beginning. Activities are organised more by strong organisations rather than grassroots ones. Second issue is the challenge of ownership of the WSF and how to increase autonomy from governments and development agencies. The financial issue is fundamental. Why Europe has given more to LAC than to Africa ? Why Europeans organised their own activities instead of funding African organisations ? Charter of Principles needs revision, setting grounds and learning lessons for solidarity funds, solidarity economy, labour and volunteering.

Antonio Martins : If we read newspaper, we see that people protested against the Forum : “what a shame” you would say. I say “what a change !!!” that people feel free to participate and criticize also the people who are struggling for a better world. This change needs to be heard and addressed.
Jurgen – EED : I raise 4 issues. Media : how to break the cycle. There has been no improvement on media relations. Journalist says that it was extremely difficult to register. Forcing them to do it as participants and be a part of the WSF, when they should be external. Church : the presence of many churches helped to confront on many social issues.

We do not live what we preach. Meals from informal sector ? Finances – propose to examine who contributed and make those who made activities to contribute.

Solange – Cote D’Ivoire : I am a member of the world social forum. I am very satisfied with the african participation. In Bamako we learned a lot and here we learned more. I raise issue of subscription to the WSF through the SMS mobile phone system : we criticize multinational companies but we involve them in our organisation activities.
Mathias –Tavola della Pace : Inspiring Forum – A general evaluation needed, not individual comments. Another good thing was the decentralised nature of workshops in the slums. Have we all contributed to make sure that the result of the Forum would be the best ?
Roberto Savio : Issues : This is not Hyde Park corner, it’s the WSF – We should have more criteria and stimulate debate. Communications : horror stories – at the beginning there were thousands of journalists, now few. There has been very little structure and facilities to allow media participation and coverage. The result has been very little international coverage. The Communication commission is meeting after this event – we must change this situation.

European Man – European March : What happened to the microphones, and translation equipment sitting in the airport ? We were looking for someone, for Prof. Oyugi nowhere to be found. Why could nobody give an answer about the delegations and journalists from the first day ? Lets learn from the experience. Fourth Day was a good idea, but poorly implemented. Code of conduct for organisers of WSF : we need to create an ad hoc international committee who can deal with these kind of problems during the days of the Forum.

White Woman- European : Two short points. We should note the presence of activists from China. Movements from Africa are ready to lead this process. The focus should be on neoliberal Europe and the struggle against a recolonisation of Africa.

Moody- Wsf India, Mumbai : I want to stress the importance of symbolism : the extent of commercialisation in this Forum marked a reversal of the previous tendency. We need to reflect. After Mumbai, we have had deficits and this is a sign of an attempt to overcome that. How do we raise funds ? How do we spend them ? We need to sum up the responsibilities also from the secretariat. One more point I think that a good evaluation is needed. A good look at the charter of principles is healthy.

Dot Keet - South Africa : Enormous efforts and energy was invested. Romantisation of poverty is still going on. We have to be careful not to feticize the poor and poverty. Best thing for Europeans is to go back to their countries to change their governments and let us deal with our problems. There has been a slippage at this forum – the thematic terrains should have gone with convergence during all the time period : we need a popular assembly every night in order to shift attention from simple debate to convergence.

European Interpreter from Athens : Translation equipment was tested, all was going well but the implementation was bad. There was no one member of African OC or IC responsible for implementation. Also, budget and organisational mismanagement have occurred : people paid too much (we would not have a deficit) and technical facilities that were not tested.
Taoufik : Collective responsibility needs to be revisited. Internal democracy needs to be revisited. There was no one to defend the people (volunteers, workers) from internal marches. Three months ago we invited people to participate but no one showed up to help us avoid a number of errors. Manipulation can happen and might have happened here. The role of IC is still very much invisible in these activities. A new type of organisation is necessary, with clearer mandates.

Edward Oyugi : Good constructive comments.

Commercial organisations were welcomed but did not respond and you did not go to eat there. All responses were late in trying to solve the issue of food. We made it free for women groups in Kenya to come here and sell their food : only 2 groups came. Most of the rest belonged to informal organisations. Water was also a problem. We did not want all of you to end up in the hospital. An Italian organisation had said the would help distribute free water, but until 3 days before we had no answer from them so we asked small companies to sell water for 10 KS.

Fees : we allowed many Kenyans to register for 50 Shillings and asked to express their needs. We gave opportunities to other people, but that was very invisible. You need to respect processes. Payment of little money signifies a co-ownership of the activities. If I go to Brazil or France and look for the poorest people, I will find out that they are not participating. We can only criticise as participants and not as Colonisers. We could not integrate ALL those we wanted to, that is for sure. However, we opened the gates in the morning and someone has mobilized people saying that the gates were closed. 3000 people from the slums came in free of charge. The lady who spoke here from the Peoples’ parliament is not part of that organisation.
Explanation about the venue : originally it was going to be in Nairobi city centre. After this was impossible, we consulted with many and the OC decided that Kasarani was the best choice. Don’t hide behind a patronising attitude.

Regarding communications and media : they are also participants when they report what is happening.

(Discussion on Right of Response) From African Woman.

South African : Point of order on interventions – this session and assessment won’t be conclusive. Nairobi OC has to do a self-evaluation.

African Woman intervenes :

Protesting on the response to accusation with personal attack.

Flavio Lotti – How are we going to continue a deeper evaluation ? In general not only for this specific event ? We are talking to about two things. One is code of conduct of OCs other is WSF in general.

Moema : tomorrow we will decide according to the written issues.

Nicola Bullard : Lets make decisions now, not leave it to the end.

Rabia : lets work in groups.

Victor : We must do evaluation but only if we are clear of what are the implications and results we think will be achieved this way.

Decision to Work on 2008

Raffaella Bolini : Issue of Process and Event : after 7 years the WSF is no longer an event, but a process at local, global and thematic levels.
Mobilisation for 2008 will not be something weak. It intends to involve all local and regional actors. Thematic, national and regional actors. The answer to the success of this event will be to organise a day or days of mobilisation. Remember that it will be a presidential electoral year in the USA. All of this was decided in Parma. Preparation should be done by internet. The day would be in coincidence with Davos. One day or more days ?

How are we going to launch an appeal for it and inform everybody about the call ? People should decide on their own the kind of activity depending on what they needs are. What the most important demands are. Each activity should inform the IC on what they are going to do. These activities will be crucial.

Francois Houtart : Each one should establish their own priorities. Can we all agree on ONE ? Next point is to be very concrete very specific depending on context. People will not mobilize for very generic appeals. Proposal on decentralised activities.

If we leave it to everyone it will not have impact of ONE issue.

Odded : In Parma we decided to keep the same dates as Davos — if we don’t occupy the space, someone else will… we can review it but we must be very careful.

On evaluation lets just do it !! Opportunity to put to action anything you want to do. In one day we have to make a connection – worldwide.
Flavio : Its good to do a ONE issue event, but its too early to decide on the issue. Is it only to “survive” as a forum ? We should consider a two-year process, not every year, in order to strengthen our capacity and be effective at changing the life of people and answering their demands. We have to grow in efficacy, not only numbers. Proposal : we start now, but keep discussing the process if we want to learn from our mistakes, we must be aware that 11 months is a short time for a global event.

Antonio : We should debate the issue of not only survive but make one step ahead. Do we have the capacity ? Have we built the necessary power ? We need a huge umbrella – not one issue, not one single goal. One issue, which is strong, and can bring all people together.

Manuel : We are not following the methodology we had decided in Parma. We should just review what was done in the 4rth day here in Nairobi and know what the proposals on the table are. Slogan : another world is possible is good enough.

Gina : proposals will be put on the website.

Rabia : one issue is important. Lets evaluate what has happened until now. Innovative processes have to be invented, including the evaluation of polycentrics. There is a contradiction between going towards process – then trying to organize a common day event. Slogan : “Building the other possible world” - the date does not have to be tied to Davos. Convergence of movement of movements must not be reduced to an event.

Young Student - Brazil. Student Representation

Freedom of expression and of organisation must be assured.

Taoufik : Consider the advances made in the 4rth day. Its early anyway, we have our own process but the world has its own process as well. We need to establish a way to collect the proposals of action. The WSF has its own identity now, it does not need to be associated any longer with Davos

Chico : WSF is process, it should have a different format. It should have theather, marches, seminars etc. One Day there must be during Davos. First day many proposals came about. We should create a new instrument or use wsfprocess.net. We need working groups for this.

Christophe : We should be ambitious. Maybe different dates are possible for ex. March 8 for women, but need a ONE day of action. Practical reason is Davos – but we should change the date because it is holiday in the South and winter in the north, difficult to mobilize people in that period.
Rasimelli : Davos is ok. In each country actions according to own necessity and responsibility – must have a an open IC to all national movements who propose something.

Sally Burch – Hemispheric Council

Format cannot be too flexible. One clear simple measure ? We have to know what is happening at Davos.

Marie - European woman

Topic – more concrete than another world is possible. Something measurable. We need to be inclusive in the process and cannot be a small working group, but a facilitating and not decision taking one.

Roberto Savio – we need to set up a serious communication and information structure. If this does not happen, then we will face a serious problem. Parma was late for Africa. We can not be late for 2008. Without a clear budget we will not be able to deliver. The communication commission needs a clear mandate also to implement the plans.

Jean Marie : Davos is good and important. We have to continue to put pressure on Davos. We should not exclude those who cannot do anything in that date. Proposal : one global period during those days – events should have continuity during a period. Several actions and events organised locally. Respecting the charter of principles.

Carles : Global march is good idea. It should e a Global process but should allow forms of struggle of a different type, diversity of expression. Not only one day but maybe a week is good. One Logo but only as umbrella – wide enough to cover every one. We should ask through a Consultation to find out how to proceed and with an inventory of the actions already planned. Then we can begin to plan the best tools to construct these events.
Candido : we have built common values and created a different political culture. During these last two years we should try to see the other side of ourselves. These are the activities that can be carried out. Opening different initiatives, for example opening an event in New York. Looking what is happening in the East and West before making a final decision. Another message would be difficult (Another world is possible is enough).

European Man One symbol – another world is possible is not enough. We need a discussion day.

David-
We cannot decide. Practical decisions call for a Calendar and an inventory. Otherwisethe visibility will be poor.

African OC – Kenyan Debt relief network
Need to rethink methodologies. We have to include the social movements. They have to catalyse. They have to take the centre stage. Its critical that we have a framework to mobilise large numbers of people, in different ways. They don’t come to one event. They should be able to mobilise according to several issues. Rethink what we want.

TWO WORKING GRUPS TO DECIDE CRITERIA ON EVALUATION AND ANOTHER ON

PROPOSALS FOR ACTION FOR 2008.

 Morning session - January 27, 2007

Meeting on evaluation and on proposal for action. Plan will be elaborated by a special group and circulated for discussion after two weeks.

Rabia- Suggest 5-year plan. Good evaluation.

Chico- A long-term plan is a good idea but in our case is too ambitious. We have to monitor world reality. We have to be cautious.

Belgian Activist- We should make a decision about the day of action. There is already enough experience to do this on the part of social movements.
Irene- In behalf of everyone – all movements- against ITC – pharmaceutical, transgenics, women, etc. Denounce the actions of Davos. Mobilise one day. Facilitation Group have a good and leading role.

Vinod- only comments on working group.

Flavio- remove from the 2008 proposal the sentence not having anything to do with after 2008… remove the date of next IC.

Taoufik- continuity on fourth day and working group recommendations.

Clarification : One day of VISIBILITY

Roberto Savio : undemocratic to resolve the issue of one day in here.

Manuel- good working group. Another chart of principles ? We have to discuss this. We can not forget the 4th day. Its important to design and reinforce Communication and Media strategy. We need in depth discussion but we also need a different methodology.

Odded- support proposal and explain the meaning of this proposal. We are here because we believe in the process of the Wsf. The process needs to be expanded. This is the chance to put in practice the mobilisation they talk about.

European Man- Assure that big movements agree with us. Keep awip logo. En each region we can adapt the slogan to local reality.

Jason- We must take on from the 4th day proposals and follow up the process through the wsf website, posting all proposals of action and with a procedure to register new ones. Publicity has to be increased. Communication for visibility will be vital. I am asking everyone to be attentive to this. We should have a special programme of subsequent activities around the world and this could be represented by a world clock, where we start from one continent and as the day goes by all events are recorded and announced. Slogan could then work around a common “It’s time to change the world” and a locally adapted one “Another XXXX is Possible”, eg. “economy”, or “democracy”, etc. adapted.

Communication will be even more important than for the WSF events, not just for visibility but especially to mobilize more people and organisations worldwide.

Isabel- ITU- need document (written) to elaborate more. Communication also needs to be made more collective.

Oyugi- plan should include proposal of not only 2007 – a good menu of proposals is needed to choose from. Different choices are necessary. A set of proposals is important. A bouquet of proposals. A maximum of impact has to be guaranteed.

Indian Man. (Parma G)- Why Davos ? It’s visible enough. I don’t see how we can carry out a process of connected activities worldwide.

Antonio- two remarks : plurality and openness. Everyone should feel comfortable. ITC is a good idea but for example women against the wall in Palestine have to be included. In Seattle the issue was done in such a way that feminists and women were brought in without problems. There is enough experience accumulated that needs to be brought in, not only this group. Many of those people are not here now.

Paulo Freire Institute Person- agrees with Antonio. Synchronised worldwide and media connection. For example, to turn the lights off to bring attention regarding energy.

Carola- six points. High impact high visibility. Common tools. Visibility to alternatives. Methodology is also important. Facilitating group that will prepare agenda for next IC.

Evaluation Group

Nicola- names of people in commission.

One strong consensus. One issue without consensus. Evaluation Framework.
Increase political impact. Framed around the values shared. Open, plural, ecological, anti ecological, solidarity, etc. Framework – measurable, languages, diversity, allocation of time, allocation of space, etc. can be measured. Practical measurable criteria. Volunteers. Preparation, decision making. Public awareness ? Looking and monitoring the media. Finances ? Looking at number – type of funders etc.

Methodologies should include ecological issues, good practice from previous wsf etc. the practical proposal is to set up a working group that should take into account the work done by the Finances Commission. Africans should prepare their own self-evaluation and framework. Second proposal is to invite all to fill in a questionnaire through the emails we already have. Second part is to have a larger questionnaire to the large actors and OCs of the forum. We stopped short here. Flavio had another proposal that we could not agree on.

Flavio - We proposed to have a seminar to evaluate the Nairobi WSF and continue the debate we did not finish yesterday, in order to produce a report.
Rasimelli. Lets not discuss the whole thing. We need to discuss the other issues of the agenda.

Roberto – Manuel : good chairing. Transparency : put proposals in the web.
Brid : Transnational Institute. Put Nairobi in the contexts of other Wsfs. We should look at the logistics of wsf, we should also look at the political achievements of Nairobi and other wsf. To what extent has the IC – OC facilitated diversity etc.

African Woman- feedback on Wsf will be in web by next Monday.

Man – European. Not evaluate only Nairobi but all wsf. We have good tools, my institution has evaluated municipalities, etc.

Man French– difficult to evaluate an event such as this. Why and How are we going to evaluate ?

Woman – Canada. What is the working group mandated ? What is the mandate ? What is the timeline, principles. Thematic ? Global ? Regional ? I would like to add the LOCAL and NATIONAL forums, etc.

African Man- French- What about the little people (of Kenya) ?

Taoufik – combine Flavio’s proposal with Nicola’s. Just to be careful how we work with the details.

Nicola- We could convene again at lunch and try to deal with the details.

This was accepted.

FACILITATING / LIAISON GROUP

Chico-
(Explains in behalf of the group – In detail…)

French Man. Too early to discuss. Against charter of principles.
Roberto – I endorse proposal. Since Miami we wanted to do this. There is no working group, which has been working well. This is an executive committee. I hope it is efficient. We received the document by Email. Two important documents ? Establish a legal entity – country where its going to be set up ? Second paper does not have it. We are changing the way we have been working until now.

Rasimelli - I want to support Chico on establishing objectives. This is not easy to do, we have just finished an event difficult to evaluate. Then the Wsf in 2009 … who, when, etc. This needs to be facilitated. However this proposal has to be linked to another one…where are we going to…towards what ? In Italy we want to discuss this and build a consensus.

Teivo. In principle the proposal has good things. However the fear is that the group will exacerbate the existing problems such as transparency. There is a clear political mandate and a representation (political) implied. There is a hidden intention to hide behind a language of horizontality.

Samir. If any group is to be constituted, it has to be done by movements that will construct a concrete alternative. I am not happy with the spirit.

Gina. This working plan is a start. Social movements have to be included. Working groups should do their preliminary work. Subordination to the IC is clear. We need more transparency but also sometype of facilitation.

Woman European. Set of objectives is a good idea. Accountability is necessary also. However centralisation is not necessary. Representing the IC is not necessary. I don’t believe in a Political Group coming out of here. Only decentralising can work.

Woman – We need to communicate with each other, we need accountability. Objectives are good but structures are not necessary. In terms of expansion it will kill the idea. It will take too long to name this people. Financially we have to solve the problem.

Man – Social Alliance. Demonstration in 2007 demands that the social movements integrate themselves in any group that is going to work.

Belgian Activist. Detail on page four...not representative of their own organisation” that means that social movements should integrate them.

Odded- Concern about those who are leading the struggle and those that are not leading the struggle. This is dangerous. Group is to facilitate : the present groups are not working. The Brazilian group wants to open up and invite other people. We have to have more efficiency.

Man. French : Individuals need to take on the process. It should be possible to experiment.

Christophe. The proposal is necessary but the criteria have to change. Power has to be given but we have to decide how to distribute that power. NGOs OCs is good but power needs to be given to social movements. Individuals is not going to work. National coalitions will have to be recognised as very realistic, and the way they work is a good lesson.

Manuel. Good and well intended proposal. Is not a question of business administration school. The issue is too deep, is an in depth process. I support the idea of dedicating a whole IC meeting to talk about this.

Flavio. We need a technical group. Fundraising etc. Sao Paulo Office. Second point is about constitution. We should decide criteria. No one of us could do it. We should dedicate ourselves to find political support, others to technical.
Woman – LAC. I recognise need to find support to IC however I think that first of all we have to evaluate why the IC has not worked. I don’t agree on political bureaus that will decide for everyone. We should not continue in this direction.

Jurgen : language of paper is too gloomy. We need to clarify and be more specific. I have some ideas but cant do it now. I would suggest more time for clarification.

John : Language is not clear. Frustration is growing but the way forward not very clear. It is clear that we are not moving. We are not finding the best way to move forward. More working groups will not be enough nor the right approach.

Carola : The mandate needs to be reviewed. Especially the role of the commissions. We need essential issues to take care of. I clearly see the need of an operational body. We have to find a compromise. My suggestion would be an operational body to facilitate the WG, the Documents, the Commissions, etc. some need to be facilitated, other issues should be left as they are. The OCs should be represented, no problem with that. Open up this document and review it in June. Take on all the comments and then work on it.

Moema- The idea of the working group is not to direct. But to facilitate everything in a way that things will work. I was part of the working group. Its just an effort to move things on. It would be a way to open up the power in the WSF. India and Brazil are not enough any more. Opening it up would function better. This is the intent of the proposal.

Chair – Tension on political role. The IC and Commissions play that role now. There is a need to strengthen certain points of facilitation and moving forward. The proposal is not clear on the political and technical inputs and differences. Its dangerous to continue without more discussion. We need more discussion.

Taoufik – First the group tried to suggest a way to work better. The group from Brazil decided to withdraw and we should appreciate that. We should take more time, and now decide on what type of technical support is deemed necessary. More concretely I suggest the working group should continue to work and present something next time. Decide on need to strengthen the secretariat and decide on this later.

 Afternoon Session – January 27 2007

USA Social Forum – Information about the next USSF, which will take place in Atlanta, from June 27 to July 1st 2007. Information on : www.ussf2007.org

Next IC Meeting

Jason – Leaflets invitation letter by Terra Futura for the 18th to 20th of May and presents proposal to host meeting before the event in Florence, Italy. Terra Futura is organised by the Ethical Bank and civil society organisations such as ARCI and unions such as CISL. Accommodation, food, equipment local transportation and logistics are all covered thanks to contribution of the Province of Florence. It would be an excellent opportunity to participate in an event such as Terra Futura (Our Future Earth), which is a legacy of the first European Social Forum and a big international event with more than 70.000 people attending. Focused on concrete alternatives and sustainability.
Raffaella Bolini – Other proposal would be Germany due to G8 in 2009.

Jurgen : NGOs – Churches – Platforms on Worldwide Issues. 50,000 participants
expected. 2nd and 3rd of June – (Alternative on 7 of June – G8). 22nd June join the movement. Rostock

Irene Leon- Lets be careful about our own agenda – IC agenda – lets not succumb to others interests. We must have time without distraction.

French Speaking African- Debt issue in agenda is good in Germany.

Action Aid Rep – We have to concentrate on strategic issues. What about visas ? And security/accessibility to the country during the G8 summit.

Odded : If we are to expand we should go elsewhere…but the opportunity is too good. Difficulties will be overcome. The dialogue with social movement in Germany will be good.

Vinod- Concern with Germany. Security issue. We should join people in the street. If we hold the IC meeting while people are demonstrating it is not a good message.

Adrie- Germany good. We should join the demonstration.

Taoufik- important issues the solidarity fund – Asia and LAC. Will the organisers of the next IC be able to provide visas and accommodations for Africans and Asians ?

Rasimelli – 50-70 tickets for people from the south are needed, as well as space, translations, etc.

Candido- before or after the mobilisations. Fix dates.

Odded- After the meeting we have a very small audience.

French Woman- meeting after participate in alternative meeting.

Candido- Lets leave two weeks to hear the decision from the Germans. Group to follow up including Jurgen.

WSF 2009

Only start the discussion, decision will be taken later.

Francois Huttart. New historical subject should be brought about. Lets try to concentrate in networks. We have to build Networks of Networks. Not only peasants and women networks.

Chair- only proposals for the next 30 minutes

Odded- We need tools to make decisions in the next meeting.

Flavio- We needed to come to Africa, it was an important event, now we have to evaluate. It will be up to the Africans to decide how to proceed with the evaluation and then stay in Africa again. Africa is very important. Network of Networks needs to be done in Africa.

French Man- How about the border of the US ?

Taoufik- All are good ideas for the working group. Consolidation is a good element to consider.

European Man- Criteria should be developed for the new WSF. Thematic considerations should be included. Open the discussion for the working group.

Candido- Would like to support the idea of expansion of the wsf.

Vinod- Define process until 2009 – THE PROCESS needs to be thought about. A mapping of Forum should take place immediately. The mapping of strong social movements is important. China is missing. South Korea is another possibility.

Diana- Why only men speak ? Who is filming ? Issue of how frequently should the WSF occur ?

Manuel : network of networks is not a good name. We should know who is willing or ready to be candidate for anything. Why is there noise about the wsf going back to Brazil ?

French Speaking African. Africa mentioned in negative terms. Africans need to be empowered. Who makes decisions ? How are they made ? Why are there not Africans here ?

WSContinental- There is a process in Brazil in the social movements about the possibility of bringing the wsf to Brazil. It would be good for the moment that LAC is living.

Ana Esther Cecena Mexico : World situation is changing. In 2009 the US elections will be over. No matter who wins it will important to send a clear message to the rest of the world. Why not the border US Mexico ? Social movements are stronger in LAC . In Mexico the Social Movements (We…) are not ready for this task. The other border is Amanzons. I propose to bring the WSF to the Amazon. The governor of Salvador has extended an invitation.
Bolivian Woman- I think there are enough elements for the WG to make the first attempt. It is important that these decisions are based in the Charter of Principles. One network of networks is very dangerous. We have to respect the social movements that are not here.

Ana Sugranyes- No technical decisions have been made to better communications and other concrete issues.

Explanation about composition of Functioning Working Group – Candido (Names will be given to Chair – 29 names for this commission received).

Explanation of Functioning of Evaluation Group – Nicola
Groups should meet in June. Work will be done on the internet. Call, to ask people to participate in survey design etcetera. Reference should be made to document commissioned by Finances Commission and Novib.

Information on WG for 2008

Slogan AWIP but will be decided next meeting. Charter of principles will prevail in all decisions. It will involve all organisations willing to contribute.
Huttart insists on proposal to go to the core of the issue instead of being like mosquitoes. Diane insists on results of 4th day. Proposal regarding transnational corporations. The methodology commission should disappear and the Working Group for 2008 becomes the new commission.

Regarding Communications. Roberto Savio proposal to have the communication commission (and anyone who is willing to contribute joining the commission on-line) work on new plan and strategy for the 2008 mobilisation. The commission must also have a mandate from the IC to fundraise for the plan and its implementation.

Candido : Commission on Communication needs a mandate.
Mandate unanimously given.

Sally Burch : Hemispheric Council – Met in Cochabamba decided to have next meeting in Central America. Important due to CAFTA, Guatemala was proposed. In consultation with Guatemala they agreed to host the forum. Next march should be a good opportunity (end of March) to meet in Guatemala after the summit of Indigenous Peoples.

Information on Asia – 15 October 21 October event on Debt. On 15 of May a Forum on Asia will be discussed.

Ruben- Foro Transfronteras occurred. Potable water is key issue.
Jose Miguel- Refugees and Rights- A world without refugees. Situation of refugees in world in 2008.

Taoufik- Social Forum in Africa in 2008.

Europe- Activities in Vienna.

Japan- Japan making an effort to strengthen the networking initiative.
Candido : Facilitation Group meeting after this meeting. Thanks to translators and Africa OC.

Taoufik : Proud of what was done and thankful to all.

18:00 Hours – END

6) Rapport du Fond de solidarité pour la réunion du CI à Nairobi – le 26 et le 27 janvier.

1. Organisations qui ont contribué avec le fond

Organisation Montant ???? Ksh 1.000,00 AIDC Ksh 1.000,00 Alai Ksh 500,00 Alianza Social Continental US$ 10,00 Assembléia das Nações Unidas dos Povos 50 euros Caritas Internationalis Ksh 8.000,00 Cives Ksh 1.000,00 Conseu Ksh 1.000,00 Cosatu Ksh 1.000,00 CRID 50 euros ETUC 300 euros Euralat Ksh 100,00 FAMES US$ 20,00 FIDH 15 euros Focus on The Global South US$ 100,00 GPF Ksh 6.000,00 Ibase US$ 100,00 Icae Ksh 1.100,00 Initiative Ander Arbeiten Berlin Ksh 1.000,00 IPS US$ 120,00 Italian ESF coord./ARCI US$ 100,00 NIGD Ksh 7.000,00 / US$ 42,0010 euros NTUI India Ksh 1.500,00 Observer Ksh 50,00 Oneworld US$ 30,00 Oxfam US$ 100,00 Pakistan Org. Committee Ksh 1.000,00 Peace Boat US$ 50,00 Social Watch US$ 100,00 Solidar Ksh 7.000,00 TNI Ksh 1.000,00 Transform ! 100 euros / US$ 200 Ubuntu Forum US$ 200,00 Vasundhaiva Kutumbakam Network 350 euros WSF India/Aipsn Ksh 1.000,00 WSF Solidarity Network US$ 10,00

Montant total reçu : 875 euros + 1.182 US dollars + 40.160 shillings kényans

2. Dépenses

Produit/Service Montant Local (Sistème d’audio + coffee break) Ksh 110.000,00 Immobile (photocopies, matériéls de bureau) Ksh 6.675,00 Interprétation (nourriture et transporte des bénévoles) Ksh 30.350,00 Montant Total Ksh 147.025,00

3. Bilan

Après changer les US$ et les 315 euros à différents taux + les shillings reçus, nous avons payé toutes les dépenses dans un total de 147.025 shillings kényans (à peu près US$ 2.162 au taux de change de 68 Ksh) et il nous est resté 560 euros, qui selon la décision du CI, une donation du montant total a été effectuée immédiatement à Edward Oyugi (Sodnet) pour le Comité d’Organisation Local.

7) Liste des Membres de CI et Observateur/trices présents à la réunion du CI
Membres du CI

1. AAWC - Palestinian grassroots Anti-Apartheid Wall Campaign
2. ABONG - Associação Brasileira de ONGs
3. African Social Forum Council
4. AIDC - Alternative Information on Development Center
5. ALAI - Agencia Latinoamericana de Informacion
6. Aliança Por Um Mundo Responsável e Solidário
7. Alternative Information Center
8. Alternatives
9. APRODEV - Association of World Council of Churches related Development Organizations in Europe
10. Articulación Feminista Marco Sur
11. ASC - Aliança Social Continental
12. Assembléia das Nações Unidas dos Povos
13. ATTAC- Brasil
14. Babels
15. CADTM- Comité pour l’Annulation de la Dette du Tiers Monde
16. Caritas Internacionalis
17. CBJP - Comissão Brasileira de Justiça e Paz
18. CEDETIM- Centre d’Etudes et d’ Initiatives de Solidarité Internationale
19. CES – European Trade Union Confederation
20. CIDSE – Coopération Internationale pour le Développement et la Solidarité
21. CIVES – Associação Brasileira de Empresários pela Cidadania
22. CLACSO – Consejo Latinoamericano de Ciencias Sociales
23. CLC - Canadian Labour Congress
24. Coligação para a Justiça Economica
25. COMPA - Convergencia de los Movimientos de los Pueblos de las Américas
26. Consejo Hemisférico - Foro Social Américas
27. COSATU - Congress of South African Trade Unions
28. CRID - Centre de Recherche et d´Information pour le Développement
29. CTA – Central de Trabajadores Argentinos
30. CUT – Central Única dos Trabalhadores
31. Encuentros Hemisféricos contra el ALCA
32. ENDA – Environnement et Développement du Tiers Monde
33. EURALAT - Observatorio Eurolatinoamericano sobre el Desarrollo Democrático y Social
34. Euromarches – Marches Européennes
35. FAMES – Forum des Femmes africaines pour une Economie Solidaire
36. FIDH – Fed. Internacional Direitos Humanos
37. FNTG – Funders Network on Trade and Globalization
38. Focus on the Global South
39. FORIM – Forum des Organisations de Solidarité Internationale issues des Migrations
40. Forum pour un autre Mali
41. GLBT - South-South Dialogue
42. Global Progressive Forum
43. Grassroots Global Justice
44. Herriak Aske
45. IBASE – Instituto Brasileiro de Análises Sociais e Econômicas
46. ICAE - Consejo Internacional de Educacion de Adultos
47. IFAT - International Federation of Alternative Trade
48. India Organizing Committee
49. International Alliance of Habitants
50. International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC)
51. IPB – International Peace Bureau / Fundació per la Pau
52. IPF - Instituto Paulo Freire
53. IPS – Inter Press Service
54. Italian Coordination of European Social Forum
55. Jubilee South - Asia
56. Jubileu Sul América Latina
57. Kenyan Organising Committee
58. MST – Movimento dos Trabalhadores Rurais Sem Terra
59. NIGD - Network Institute for Global Democratization
60. Oneworld
61. OXFAM Internacional
62. Pakistan Social Forum
63. Peace Boat
64. PPEHRC – Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign
65. Rede CONSEU (Conferencia de Naciones sin Estado de Europa)
66. Rede Dawn de Mulheres
67. Rede Latino Americana e Caribenha de Mulheres Negras
68. Redes Economía Solidaria
69. REMTE – Red Latinoamericana Mujeres Transformando la Economía
70. REPEM – Red de Educación Popular Entre Mujeres
71. ROAD – Réseau Ouest Africain des Alternatives pour le Développement
72. Social Watch
73. SODNET – Social Development Network
74. Solidar
75. Solidarity Africa Network in Action
76. Transform !
77. Transnational Institute (TNI)
78. UBUNTU - Foro Mundial de Redes de la Sociedad Civil
79. Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam Network
80. Via Campesina
81. World Education Forum
82. World March of Women
83. WSF Caracas
84. WSF India
85. WSF Organizing Committee Pakistan

Observateurs/trices

1. Afapredesa
2. Anjuman Asiaye Awan Pakistan
3. Associação Software Livre
4. CECOF
5. Cediter
6. COLMEA/POA-RS
7. DEDS/Prorext
8. FAL
9. FETAG
10. Foro Social Mundial Temático
11. Forum parlamentaire
12. IMG Brasil
13. Koch fm
14. Lisped / ANAC
15. Mol BA , Boubacar
16. Mov. « Pacis Nuntri »
17. Moz Social Forum
18. MS Kenya
19. No Vox
20. Oneka Sinema
21. PPSG
22. Quaker Institute Future
23. The Foundry
24. University and Social Involvement
25. Western Sahoro Journalism Uni
26. World Peace Alive Forum
27. WSF- Solidary Network in Japan


“Un autre monde est possible” Escritório do Fórum Social Mundial / Bureau du Forum Social Mondial
R. General Jardim, 660 – 7o andar – sala 72
Cep : 01223-010 – São Paulo – SP – Brasil
Tel. : + 55 11 3258-8914
Fax : + 55 11 3258-8469
Site : www.forumsocialmundial.org.br

P.-S.

* Traduction bénévole par Jérôme Perret et Vanessa Sigaud Pays.

Pas de licence spécifique (droits par défaut)